Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Saying "Goodbye" Oklahoma and "Hello" Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Leaving tomorrow morning.  I've said my goodbyes (maasalamas) and I'm looking forward to the hellos " ( al salaamu aleikum).  I'm looking forward to getting there but getting on the plane feels like the start.  It is exciting and a little bittersweet.  I'm leaving everything I have known for a very long time and venturing into a great unknown.  I have prepared all I can so now it's time.  I guess all those little last minute annoyances were preparing me to learn patience and how to handle new things with grace.  They gave me a headache sometimes but when I recovered I learned from the experience.  I am expecting many more learning experiences.

I spent last evening with my sons and Matt's family.  I was able to put on the abaya and show the g-kids what it looks like.  We found the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on the map and through the wonders of the internet I could show them where I will be working and where I will be living. We talked a little about the history, the culture. We talked about some of the changes I know I will experience ie: no driving a vehicle, no riding a bicycle, wearing the abaya whenever I am off hospital grounds, following a new set of rules and sharing an apartment.  Calista made me a wonderful going away card that I am taking with me to put on my wall.  I have the picture taken of me and the twins at the grandparent's day breakfast.

I hope now for trouble free flights, my only MINOR anxiety since I haven't been across the pond in many many many years.

Love to you all!

Christine xx

No comments:

Post a Comment