Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I feel good (dadadadadada) like I knew that I would (dadadadadada)!!!!!!

I didn't particularly feel jet lagged like some of the others did but I guess I was a little.  Now I am back to waking up sans alarm clock at 0530 and I feel great!!!  Moni, Diane and I are going shopping today for more "creature comforts".  It is nice to be out in the city early in the morning!

I started working on my unit this week.  I get 10 days of floor orientation and then I am out there on my own.  Really the only thing I need to get familiar with is their paperwork.  The hospital is working on moving toward a computerized system but they haven't achieved it yet.  Many nurses from some areas have never worked with computers so the process is slow going.  We all had to be assessed for computer literacy and after two moves they decided I knew enough I didn't need any further training.  Many of the Filipino and East Indian nurses have never used a computer so they are being taught.

The unit is a little different from what I expected.  Many of the patients are chronic.  It is a 20 bed unit and three or four of the patients have been there for about three YEARS!  We take care of VIP's and members of the royal family.  Apparently if the family doesn't want them moved they supplicate to the king and he tells us to keep them there.  The work is not nearly as frantic as CCMH was.  In fact it is pretty relaxed!  We get 30 minute tea breaks morning and afternoon and an hour for lunch!  This is in a shift that goes from 0700 till 1930.  My critical care clinical instructor tells me I may get bored so after I finish orientation in MICU-C I can orient to the surgical ward to get some variety.  They do many open hearts here and I will be able to get some experience with LVADS and ECHMOS.  The issue is most of the patients are PEDIATRIC!  Well....it will be an experience for sure.  I keep trying to slow down as far as my nursing career but I guess I am so addicted to the adrenaline rush I can't do it!

A note about the VIP's and Royal Family....the members of the Royal Family I have encountered have been lovely!  They have been very appreciative, kind and supportive, very gracious.  The VIP's however are what I have always referred to as "the fringe people", people who THINK they are someone because they are associated with the Royal Family in some way (not really related to them).  These people are the rudest, most demanding people!!  It's funny because these are the people who get rotated among the nurses so you don't have to take care of them for more than one day at a time!  Just smile.....deep breathe....and know ;)..........

Anyway I'm off to have more adventures today!!

Christine xx

No comments:

Post a Comment