Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 25, 2009

An Observation

I was at the grocery store.  The call to prayer was announced and everything shut down while the workers went to pray.  While we were waiting the 20-30 minutes children were playing and laughing,  They were playing the same kind of games American children play including the energy and giggling.  I noticed the women in their abayas and veils.  What struck me was how ornate some of the abayas were and some were embellished with pins and other ornamentation.  The experience showed me that children are children no matter where you go, and women are women even if they are limited to wearing black in public they will find a way to make it more beautiful!

We met a Muslim woman from Holland.  She is not required to veil while there.  She veils here because she says it makes her feel safe.  Americans apply their own opinions and prejudices regarding Arab culture but the women here do not feel they are oppressed or diminished.  I spoke with several educated Saudi women who feel a bit threatened by Westernization of their culture.  As it is I have observed sons being very respectful and helpful to their mothers and husbands (while they cannot openly show affection) showing their wives great affection and respect by the way they look at and regard their wives in public.  It was explained to me by some Saudi women that women run the home.  That is a true observation I made at the Panda store..poppa deferring to momma when it came to buying groceries and such.  Is there abuse in the home?  I am sure there is some just as there are in some American homes.  Our news media makes sure we get all the bad stuff.  I do not profess to be an expert in Arab culture after spending only three weeks here.  I am learning a lot however which was part of the purpose in coming here.  I am on a steep learning curve!!

I start working in my unit tomorrow.  It will not be as different as I thought...which is a good thing.  My favorite Arab word at the moment is mushkala which means problem.  I like words that sound like what they mean!

Christine xx

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great experience. Interesting observations. So--you are required to wear the long abayas! Now we know. However, you aren't required to veil? Can't wait to hear about the work environment. Take care. Love and kisses.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete