Total Pageviews

Friday, October 23, 2009

Kingdom Tower and Batha Souks

The Kingdom Tower was great!!  One of my friends described it as a giant razor blade.  Really it is a very tall, modern structure.  It's the tallest in Riyadh!  It is a very large mall with very expensive shops and some moderately priced ones.  The third level is "The Women's Kingdom" where we can remove our scarfs and abayas (but who wants to carry them around) and the women who veil may remove them.  No men are allowed!!  It has very nice clothing, makeup and jewelry stores!!  We had lunch at a very nice place where they had couches and upholstered chairs . They served very dainty sandwiches and finger foods and drinks in fancy glasses and cups!  We then went to the top of the building.  Now the upper levels of this building contain fancy hotels ($1000 US and UP/night) and verrrry expensive restaurants.  On the 99th floor, which is the top,there is a sky walk where you can go and see the entire city of Riyadh!!  Everything is the color of the desert so it looks like a city that just appears from the desert and then melts into it again...no rough edges.  It was magical!!  We plan to go again at night to set that view!!

The Batha souks were another story.  It was sort of the bowels of Riyadh.  We found the beautiful India shops where they sell gorgeous material and clothing.  It is a very dirty place and there were too many young men standing around. We had been told we can get really good deals on some items there but I felt very uncomfortable.  I especially felt that way when I realized we were the only women on the streets!!  I told my friends we needed to get a taxi NOW and leave.  I was very glad they agreed!  My brother gave me this advice before I left home...if you get this feeling you are in the wrong place you probably are and need to leave immediately!  Good advice!!  If I were to go back it would be in the morning and never alone!

So it was a day of contrasts.  We were exhausted when we arrived home.  I was able to get some "creature comforts" ie: some pillows. makeup, clothes and chocolate.  I am very comfortable here and seem to be settling in nicely.  I get to be "mother" to some younger nurses who are really homesick...I just encourage and support them...give them a place to hang out if they need to.  I'm learning to cook on an electric stove (I hate them).  Enjoying a quiet Muslim Sabbath today gearing up for another busy week!

Christine xx

No comments:

Post a Comment