Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Lucky Enough forTWO New Years!!!

The Muslims already celebrated their New Year on our December 18th which was their first of Muhharum.  The Hijri (sometimes spelled Hijra) calendar is a lunar calendar.  Every month has 28 days which makes their years 11 days shorter than our (Gregorian) years.  If someone signs up for a one year contract here and never takes any time off they can finish the contract in a little over 8.5 months.  I'm here as an explorer so I will be taking all the time off I can get!!!

I have had to work this weekend so I am not going out for New Year.  Diane and I had a little non-alcoholic drink, wished each other HAPPY New Year and then I went to bed to recover from today and prepare for tomorrow.  When I got home this evening there was a Warden's Alert from the American Embassy telling all Americans here to be on high alert.  The Saudi certainly are.  They have doubled the security at the compound and there have been lots of soldiers at the hospital.  Saudi Arabia is at war with Yemen (which is waaaay south of where I am).  Al Qaida took credit for the guy with the bomb in his boxers so now we have to be extra careful when going out.  I am not worried.  I feel very safe and life is going on as usual at KFSH&RC.

I'd like to wish everyone a very Happy New Year!  May it truly be a happy, peaceful and blessed 2010!!

Christine xx

No comments:

Post a Comment