Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Some have left....

My mother asked if any of the nurses who came with me have left already.  Yes there have been  a few.  When I came here I expected that I was the one going to have to make some changes.  An entire country does not have to change to suit me or make me more comfortable!  Some think I have made it sound very easy.  It is NOT easy at all.  If you learn what the differences are and adapt yourself to the new situations you can get through it.  If you expect that there will be some delay, that you may have some trouble making yourself understood but things will eventually happen and everything will turn out all right you will be OK.  I haven't outwardly felt a lot of stress but I know that I am when something that normally would just roll off my back becomes uncomfortable to me.  An example is getting my internet set up.  I wanted that to happen very quickly because that was how I would communicate with family and friends.  It took four trips to Al Quisse to make it happen....but it did happen!  I have learned a lot of patience so far and to laugh at some of the situations.....find the humor in it.  I also have much more understanding for people who come to my country and struggle with the language and the customs.  The point is that the nurses who have left are the ones who thought they could come here and not have to make any adaptations.  They became frustrated beyond what they could handle so they left.  What a missed opportunity!!

We went to the antique souks today.  Lots of interesting old stuff and copies of old stuff (like they didn't think I knew the difference;) ).  We also saw the Old Clock Tower where they do the beheadings and amputations on Friday afternoons (if it is necessary).  The procedure is to sedate the victim and try to get it in one swipe.  Sometimes it doesn't happen.  It is considered to be a great honor to carry out the sentence and the tradition is generally handed down father to son.

We ate at a very nice restaurant today.  A word about portions..I have heard many times how American portions are so large compared with the elf food you get in Europe.  I'm telling you no one beats Saudi Arabian portions!!  I could not get through my lunch it was enough for four people!!  and then the waiter asked if I wanted dessert!!!  Where was I going to put it?!?!?!  The Saudi Arabians take great pride and honor in being good hosts.  It is embarassing to them if their guest is unhappy or uncomfortable.

It's been a nice weekend off so far.  Going bowling tonight with a friend who is having adjustment problems.  Maybe if she doesn't feel alone she will stay......

Christine xx

No comments:

Post a Comment