Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Merry Christmas One and All!!

We cannot openly celebrate Christmas here.  No other religions or religious holidays are allowed to be observed by law.  However what we do in our own apartments is our own business and we are quietly celebrating together.  I have a Christmas tree thanks to my room mate.  Apparently the man at the Al Quisse store keeps some Christmas items hidden so you have to ask for them.  Our little tree smelled pretty strongly of moth balls so we aired it out a while then sprayed it with air freshener.  Diane also found some little drum shaped multicolored lights and we covered a kitchen canister with red paper and used zebra striped tape to make it look like a drum.  I think it looks very cool!!! and the little Christmas tree fits right in it!  I've had to put a little more thought into how to celebrate Christmas with family and friends.  There are no Christmas cards (in fact hardly any kind of cards at all...I guess people don't send many cards around these parts).  Trying to shop on line has been a trip.  Either I am blocked on the US side because the transmission is coming from the Middle East or I am blocked on this side because they don't know what it is (There is a very strict internet policy here.  A friend tried to send me pictures of his trip to Peru but it was blocked because he posted them on Webshots.)  I thought FTD.com wouldn't let me down but they did big time.  The only one that I have been 100% successful with is good old Walmart!

Anyway...I am off Christmas Eve and we are having a little dinner.  Yesterday at work many of us working on Christmas Day are planning a pot luck and a Mad Santa like game.                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Mostly though I believe Christmas is best celebrated in our hearts.  Yes the traditions and celebrations are wonderful!  However what we are really celebrating is the birth of Jesus Christ...something we should be celebrating 365 days a year.

Love to you all!

Merry Christmas and the Best New Year ever!!

Christine xx

No comments:

Post a Comment