Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Happy New Year!!

I've been really busy mostly with working.  Sometimes I have to admit I struggle a bit with some of the cultural aspects of living here.  There are differences in medical practice (and nursing) that are sometimes very frustrating for me.  STAT at home means STAT!  Here it means we will get to it sometime today which is a real pain if you have a very sick patient.  No amount of pleading will get it to you any sooner.  I can advocate for my patient all I want but when I talk to the doctor and he is unwilling to advocate with me then it will not be done anytime sooner.  I have learned that if they end the conversation with inshalla (which means god willing) there isn't any hope for it to be done in a timely fashion.  An unusual thing that I have been counseled about is not taking breaks!!  I have never had so many breaks ever!!  We are supposed to take half hour in the morning, an hour for lunch, and another half hour in the afternoon.  If I have a sick patient I am not leaving him!  This has caused some to remark that if I don't take MY breaks then THEY will LOSE getting breaks .  IMHO I feel the nurse taking care of a critical patient should stay at the bedside and communicate with the doctor.  Who knows better than the one who has cared for the patient since the beginning?  Also I don't want to be lost on what happened while I was gone!  Now mind you...there are not that many real ICU patients in that unit but I get one and I want to stay with him!  I will just have to remember why I came here and do the best I can.

The weather here is beautiful!!  I love snow and I am sorry I am missing the blizzard in Oklahoma.  In the summer here everything burns up like at home so in the fall they plant all kinds of flowers and shrubs.  It is funny to me to see petunias and cannas blooming this time of year!  I think I am going to have a quiet day today and read a book and watch TV.

Take care!

Christine xx

No comments:

Post a Comment