Total Pageviews

Friday, January 22, 2010

Queen of Za Dezert!

I know it has been a whie since I blogged.  I think the 7th of January was the last time but nothing new or interesting has been going on.  I have found my routine and have settled in it.

The exciting new news is: I AM GOING TO EGYPT FOR 16 DAYS IN MARCH!  When I was in the 8th grade I wrote a paper on Egyptology and have always had an interest in ancient cultures and mythology.Who knew I would lay my own eyes on the Pyramids, Sphynx, the library in Alexandria, St. Catherine's Monastery and climb Moses mountain (the one where he got the 10 Commandments.  We do it in the middle of the night and watch the sun come up). WOW!  We are celebrating my (and Shelly's, a friend from Australia) birthday in Sharm El-Sheik.  I have the leave, I have the travel package and finished booking my flight from Riyadh to Cairo and back so it's definitely going to happen now! WOOHOO!  Cruise down the Nile, felucca boat excursions, a camel ride in the desert, light show at the Luxor Temple, Valley of the Kings (and Queens)...

Work is good.  I have applied for my Saudi nursing license pending receiving my employment verification from CCMH. I have to have it to work more than one year here.  My boss seems to like me OK and I get along well with the doctors and residents.  My co-workers have become like family and we look forward to working together.  Everyone tells me the hospital is based on the American system but I can tell you it is the American system 20-25 years ago.  We are just now moving in to computerized charting and will institute the bar code method of giving medications in the next year or so.  I am on the safety committee for Critical Care. Some people still struggle but when I talk to them the struggle is about the culture in which we work.  I don't struggle.  I quickly learned to accept things the way they are and gently nudge and hint at another, possibly better way.  One of the things I pointed out to my head nurse is that while the hospital is run on a Western system of some kind we run into problems when we forget to accommodate the population and culture that we serve.  I completely believe in the body, mind, spirit connection to promote healing.  When we tell people that their customs have no use in the hospital we are taking away from them an important part of the healing process.  I think I see another committee membership in my future.

Anyway things are going well and I am still enjoying it here. Looking forward to a little belly dancing in Cairo and Sharm El-Sheik!

Christine xx

No comments:

Post a Comment