Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

She has met the Mutawa!

Before I came to Kingdom of Saudi Arabia I had heard many things about the Mutawa.  I was told they carried canes and camel whips and struck men and women who were acting inappropriately.  You can be arrested if you got on the wrong side of one!  I was told you could tell who they were by they wear no ring on their head to hold the head scarf on, their thobes are shorter exposing their ankles, and they always have a beard.  Some of the books I had read told horror stories about the Mutawa.  While I am not afraid of much I really did not want to run in to one of them (but I knew I would eventually).  They seemed a little bit scary!  Today I was caring for a very sick woman who is not doing well though sh is making miniscule improvements.  I'm writing in my nurses notes, look up, AND THERE HE IS STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!  No ring (check), beard (check), short thobe (check).  Holy mackeral and shoot the monkey..it is the Mutawa!!  He asked if he could sing the Quran to the patient.  I said of course and since the patient was in isolation I helped him get into his gown and mask.  I listened to him sing while I was doing my notes and it was so so beautiful!!  When he came out I helped him out of the paraphernalia and disposed of it for him.  He said "thank you, sister".  I told him how much I enjoyed listening to his prayer. I think some positive attitude adjustment was made by both parties. I respected his position and he appreciated my help. The king has made a lot of changes over the years regarding the authority of the Mutawa and we were given a lot of advice on arrival.  I am glad my first real experience was a good one!

I am really quite tired.  I have worked a lot, taken lots of exams, had extra training and competency evaluations.  I haven't been out in over 10 days so I am looking forward to having a couple of days off!  I am off Thanksgiving and the bash is at my house.  The Yanks have invited the Irish, the Aussies and the Kiwi's!  Maybe some of the East Indians will come! Must go to Tamimi market and get a turkey tomorrow!!  I found canned pumpkin and sweet potatoes, stuff to make green bean casserole.  Everyone is supposed to bring something from their country to share.  I may do that pilgrim and Native American thing again.  Hmmmmmm

Christine xx

No comments:

Post a Comment