Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Eid al-Adha

This is the holiday currently being celebrated by the Muslims.  It just happens to correspond this year with the American Thanksgiving.  Eid al-Adha, or Feast of Sacrifice, celebrates Abraham's (Ibriham in the Arabic spelling) willingness to sacrifice his son, Isaac, in obedience to God.   The Hajj (pilgrimage to Mekkah) occurs this week and Eid begins when the Hajj is over and lasts three days.  I have been privileged to have two very devout Muslims talk to me about their religion and what it means to them.  One man is an Arab doctor.  I really like working with him.  The other is a fellow nurse who enjoyed working with me because I would watch her patient so she could pray when the call came.  I am sure this is an important part of my education to this culture. Eid is a little like our holidays.  There are pretty lighted designs lining the streets downtown.  There are colored lights and a spirit of celebration!  The Saudi's get time off for Hajj and our employer is kind enough to give all of us Hajj days as well (which we can take anytime we want to).  My heart grows larger and filled with more understanding and love as I come to better know this people.

I am looking forward to tomorrow and celebrating my favorite holiday.  Pies are baked, preparations are made, friends are coming...good times ahead.  I have so much to be thankful for!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Christine xx

No comments:

Post a Comment